This year marks the 5th anniversary of my Mother-In-Law’s passing. She died December 26th after discovering she had lung cancer just 3 weeks prior. Christmas was her favorite holiday and I swear she fought strong to have her last Christmas with the people she loved. The way she prepared for that last Christmas with us while, sick, tired, and mentally drained was nothing short of extraordinary. Every year she wrote hand written notes to go along with her gifts. That Christmas was no different. Every gift had words written with love and a shaky hand.
I wanted to carry out that tradition this year to honor her and give her son a Christmas he wouldn’t forget.
I prepared 10 gifts for my husband with a “To Remember” theme. I know I get so wrapped up in the kids sometimes that daddy gets a back burner. I hope you find inspiration for the Play At Home Dad in your own gift giving this holiday season.
I started out with a stocking stuffer note pointing out some of the amazing memories we had with his mother. I then wrapped 10 gifts and attached a note to each gift ….
1. REMEMBRANCE ORNAMENT - To remember all our loved ones that are no longer here. They will be forever in our hearts.
“Those we love don’t go away, they walk beside us everyday. Unseen, unheard, but always near. Still loved, still missed, and held so dear.” ~ Unknown
2. CUFFLINKS (I bought THESE because he is obsessed with Abraham Lincoln) - To remember to always look for inspiration and always be an inspiration. Never forget your role models and all that you learned over the years. Be sure to pass that wisdom on to your daughters.
“In the end, it’s not the years in your life that count it’s the life in your years.” ~ Abraham Lincoln
3. PEN/COMPUTER TYPE STUFF – To remember to always work hard and be the best you can be. Always believe in yourself. Stay humble.
“Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard.” ~ Notke
4. SHOES – To remember that no matter how successful you become to always be thankful for the shoes on your feet.
“If you are not thankful for what you have, you do not deserve the things you want.” ~ Kennedy
5. WARM-UPS – To remember that all your success means nothing if you are not healthy. Stay strong for us.
“It is health that is real wealth and not pieces of gold or silver.” ~ Gandhi
6. GRILL ACCESSORY – To remember if you can’t feed a hundred people then just feed one.
“We have been given so we might give.” ~ Unknown
7. MASSAGE GIFT CERTIFICATE – To remember to relax. Take time to enjoy the little things.
“You will get there when you are meant to get there.” ~ Hale
8. HANDMADE STUFF FROM CHILDREN – To remember that the three girls sitting before you love you more than anything in this world. Spend time with them, love them, guide them, and be there for them.
“A daughter needs a dad to be the standard against which she will judge all men.” ~ Unknown.
9. WATCH – To remember no matter the time of the day, your wife is always thinking of you.
“If I could have anyone in the world, it would still be you.” ~ Unknown
10. PORTABLE GUN SAFE (I thought I would end with a gag gift)- To remember that if you ever hurt your wife or kids you better lock your guns up. :-P
“Nothing hurts more than being disappointed by the single person you though would never hurt you.” ~ Unknown