Kinetic Sand

Flowing Kinetic Sand

A few days ago I received a text message from a local friend, Allison (who coincidentally I met through PAHM), asking me if I knew how to make Kinetic Sand. Kinetic sand?? What is that?? Cue google! It looked just like moon sand so I sent her our MOON SAND RECIPE. Then……I watched a video. It looked way more interesting than moon sand. Allison and I spoke more about it and then I decided to splurge and order some. It arrived today and I have to say, it was well worth the splurge. It is a bit like moon sand, but its a lot more fluid and kind of feels like cotton candy – or perhaps what I imagine holding a cloud would feel like. It moves, you can mold it, you can stack it, you can stamp in it, and it doesn’t stick to your hands (BONUS). My son is kind of “over” sensory table type play – but he played with this intensely for over an hour and revisited it more than once. Much like WATER BEADS, it was a huge hit (with boy, Mommy, and Daddy). They have two different sizes available on amazon. We purchased the 11 pound bag. Yes, its pricey, but I had some money left on an Amazon gift card.

Making and stacking molds.

Flowing Kinetic Sand

Molding it into a sand castle.

11 Responses to Kinetic Sand

1. Laura M. says:

I like the idea of it not sticking to your hands, thanks for sharing, had never heard of it. FYI the link to amazon pulls up your store for but no products, figured you’d want to know!! :) I’m using an iPad in the US….in case that has anything to do with it!

2. Bobbi Schmidt says:

What do you store your kinetic sand in when it isn’t being played with? We just got some for Christmas gifts for the kids and it just came in a plastic bag, so I need to find something to store it in. Thanks

• Laurie R. says:

My BF actually just bought me some. It’s so cool! I’m storing it in a gallon Ziploc bag. I’m thinking some sort of small plastic bin would also work well.

3. Lindsay says:

Fat Brain Toys has it at a much more reasonable price for others looking. We have some and it is a hit with anyone who plays with it! I bought a higher sided tray to play with it on.

4. Tish Pilon says:

I have been searching on the web for a recipe to be able to make the kinetic sand. I was hopeful when I came across your site. Do you know how to make this sand at home? It says 98% sand 2% polymer
    Some site says it’s silly putty ingredients but I don’t know how to make silly putty
    Can you provide a recipe please? I know where I can buy it Michaels brook stone all over the web
    And Moon sand is not the same as you know
    Thanks so much

5. Amanda says:

I saw this link on line and thought best share with you.
    HEADS UP PEOPLE: I noticed today that there are several shops here in the UK selling the new play fad Kinetic sand, which contains a bonding agent to make the sand stick to itself, it has become a popular toy and is widely available in stores, The problem with this product is that if your child or animal swallows any of it, it does not pass through the body like normal sand.
    Belinda O’Shea kept her son’s kinetic sand in a sealed container but the dog still got into it and digested some of the sand. She says she is so lucky that her son Archie didn’t eat any. The vet figured out the properties of the kinetic sand were causing it to reshape every time the dog’s body tried to remove it, meaning the pooch would have to undergo emergency surgery. They have since disposed of their kinetic sand.
    So, just a warning if you do get your child some of this sand, watch them to make sure they don’t eat any of it and keep it well away from your pets.