Push Light Planets

I always try to follow the interests of my son when planning fun activities.  My hopes are to inspire him to delve deeper into learning about things he already loves.  He has been interested in the planets/solar system for months now.  He even requested Saturn (his favorite planet) as one of the paintings on his bedroom wall.

He requests this book at bed time quite often….

This is the book we read a lot – and used for inspiration.
This morning I thought of using push lights to paint and illuminate the planets!  Dollar Tree sells push lights, but in my experience – they stink.  I bought this pack of 4 (small) push lights at Walmart for under $4.00.  The batteries that come with them are horrible, and we had to replace them the next day.
I bought 3 packs of these

I used glass paint (also purchased at Walmart for under $2.oo a jar).  Be aware that slathering on too much paint may cause the push lights to stick after dry.  Ours did not, but I can see how it could happen.  We also discovered that glass paint apparently doesn’t adhere well to plastic.  When we pushed the lights to turn them on/off, some of the paint was peeling off.  I sealed it with Mod Podge and it hasn’t happened since.

I initiated this activity by asking my son if he would like to help me put batteries in the new push lights.  He played an active role in setting up the entire activity.  We took the time to flip through each page of the book to see which planet he wanted to paint first – Jupiter.
The invitation.  My son played an active role in setting this up.  We paper clipped opened the book for inspiration.
Painting Jupiter.  I asked him why he was painting the sides and he said “because Mommy, the whole planet has color, not just the top”.  I stand corrected.
We talked about the colors in each planet, he chose the corresponding paints, and he counted out the number of brushes needed.  He painted one planet at a time at his own pace.
Mars, Saturn, and Jupiter – completed, dried, and illuminated!  Cool!
Venus.  The OCD in me wanted to tell him that the black on the left side of the planet in the picture is a shadow….but this is about so much more than “doing it right”.   I think he did an amazing job!
 Here are the 6 planets we have done so far.  My favorite parts of this activity was the dialogue it inspired, watching my son become so engaged in painting (something he RARELY does), and seeing him glow with pride.
painting Uranus with Daddy
Painting Mercury
Painting Mercury
Painting Pluto (and yes, Im aware that there has been some controversy as to whether Pluto is really a planet.)
The Solar System through the eyes of a 3 year old.  He still wants to get a big push light to paint the sun.

Its been about a month since we created the planets with push light and today he was finally ready to add the sun.  I asked him if he would like to use his book as reference and he said, “No thank you.  I know what the sun looks like”.

Painting the sun
Beautiful sun
“Let’s count them.”
The sun and planets
This is how my son set them up when we were talking about the sun being the center of the solar system and all of the planets revolving around it.  AWESOME!!
·         Buy different sized push lights to really represent the size of each planet.
·         Add glow in the dark stars to the wall with the completed, illuminated planets.
·         Encourage reading by using a label maker to label the back side of each planet with its name.
·         Encourage further reading and knowledge by printing fun facts about each planet onto sticker paper sheets and then adding them to the back of each light.
For copyright infringement purposes and in an attempt to protect our intellectual property, we add this copyright statement for those who would like to recreate our ideas for publishing purposes:

This activity was created by Play at Home Mom and is copyright protected © Play at Home Mom, LLC.  Use, imitation, and/or duplication of these pictures, activities, and materials for blogging, publishing, or selling purposes without expressed or written permission from the author and/or owners OR adequate credit linking back to the source is strictly prohibited.

All requests for content use can be directed here:

60 Responses to Push Light Planets

1. I LOVE this! My son absolutely loves all things space related but he’s not so in to painting either… I bet he would really enjoy this and it would inspire him to play with the paints more. This is such a great idea with the tap lights, I can’t wait to try this!

2. happynik says:

Super cool. We love space. My son’s room has glowing planets hanging above his bed with big star cutouts and glowing stars on the ceiling. We just put together a giant space mobile too. My friend and I absolutely love this and plan to do it. Thanks so much for all your inspiration, I check y’all out all the time! Y’all ROCK!

3. AWESOME! Thank you for all the great ideas! I love getting the emails when you update, and don’t normally comment since I’m viewing it from my email, but just wanted to say thank you! Thank you for taking the time to share your great ideas so that others (myself and kids) can benefit. I definitely think of play differently now and try to incorporate more meaningful play. Please keep updating; this is such a wonderful resource for creative parenting.

4. Hannah says:

I love this idea, what a great way to make the learning really come alive. This could be a really great thing to include when we decorate our playroom, plus I love that you still have more ideas to come

5. This is great!!! I am going to set this up next week for my little girl! We got her Uncle Milton’s moon in my room and glow in the dark stars, and I ordered the push lights online-I think she will be thrilled, so thank you so much for sharing. I love that ya’ll will be adding a bigger light for the sun also-would love to do that as well!! :)

6. Brianne says:

On a recent trip to Ikea, I ran across this delight, and although it’s not a push light, it had to come home with me for my son’s room. We hung it on the wall rather than the ceiling, and I just love it. Just an on-topic idea that I thought I’d share. :)

Thanks so much for letting us in on all the wonderful wonder that you share with your kids! I can’t wait to try so many of your ideas with my kids!

7. Dershana says:

Fantastic Blog and what a creative mother :-) I’ve been on the look out for good beginners book on the solar sytem for my 3 year old too. Please suggest something I can pick up through amazon?

8. aleahdeann says:

This is amazing, I love the idea. I will be putting this in the “to do” activities when my son is a little older and possibly when he is showing interest in planets. This really is AWESOME!!

9. Junior says:

love this, will certainly be trying it with my little one. Do these have sticky on the bottom for hanging? My little one cannot use his hands so paints with a brush attached to his head. I need to be able to somehow hold them up at eye level for him to paint. We love your blog and use your ideas frequently.

10. Alaina Kroes says:

Did you help pick out the colors? Or did you set them out for him? My son loves to use a lot of colors and I know its more about the experience so just wondering how you did that part. Thanks! Alaina

• He chose the colors, but with each planet, I asked him first what colors he saw….he would tell me…and then I would say – “so what color paints do you need?” – and he would pick the colors.

11. Leena says:

Hmmm, the cheapest I can find the push lights are 3.99 each at Walmart. Anyone have any other ideas? This looks like sooo much fun.

12. mindy says:

What a great idea. We are going to this for my son’s Cub Scout astronomy unit / space pin.
    .I’m a little confused in which lights you actually used the dollar store lights or the Walmart light?

13. Sheri Geer says:

What a fantastic idea! I am beginning a unit on the solar system with my third grade class, and I think I will let them do this in class. They will love it! Thanks for sharing your creative idea!

14. Pingback: Push Light Planets : A Teaching Craft And Room Décor In One – Home and Garden

15. Ellen says:

What a great idea! We love the push lights as we live in Florida we use them when the power goes out sadly drains the batteries really quick so we take out the batteries when they arent in use.

16. Pingback: Friday Favorites–Space Crafts | Crafty Staci

17. Pingback: 14 Educational Stocking Stuffers ~ Mom's InspiredMom's Inspired

18. Pingback: 14 Stocking Stuffer Ideas that Encourage Learning | Prepper's Survival Homestead

19. Pingback: 14 Educational Stocking Stuffer Ideas + Our Fun Christmas Tradition - Busy Boys Brigade

20. Pingback: Educational Stocking Stuffer Ideas - The Homeschool Scientist

21. Pingback: Homeschool Spotlight: Educational Christmas Gifts - A Virtuous Mother

22. Pingback: 14 Educational Stocking Stuffer Ideas | Free Homeschool Deals ©

23. Pingback: 14 Stocking Stuffer Ideas that Encourage Learning ⋆ Creative Madness Mama

24. Pingback: 14 Educational Stocking Stuffer Ideas - For the Display of His Splendor

25. Pingback: From the Teacher’s Desk | Living the Life as a mom and teacher

26. Pingback: 14 Educational Stocking Stuffer Ideas #MDRStocking #ad -

27. Pingback: 14 Educational Stocking Stuffer Ideas | "Deal"icious Mom

28. Pingback: Educational Stocking Stuffer Ideas - Forgetful Momma

29. Pingback: 14 Stocking Stuffer Ideas that Encourage Learning

30. Pingback: 14 Educational Stocking Stuffer Ideas - Totally Temberton

31. Pingback: 14 Educational Stocking Stuffer Ideas - Counting Change... Again

32. Pingback: 14 Educational Stocking Stuffer Ideas - Dont Make Me Nuts

33. Pingback: 25 Awesome Stocking Stuffer Ideas - The Multi Taskin' Mom

34. Pingback: Educational Stocking Stuffer Ideas

35. Pingback: 14 Educational Stocking Stuffer Ideas

36. Pingback: 14 Educational Stocking Stuffers from Educents | Faithful Homestead

37. Pingback: 14 Educational Stocking Stuffer Ideas (Affiliate) •

38. Pingback: Scoops: Snowflakes and Educational Stocking Stuffers | Dear Homeschooler

39. Pingback: Stocking Stuffer Ideas |