Routine Visits to Open Heart Surgery (A growing imagination)

The invitation below was set up for my girls after a recent visit to see my husband at work.  My oldest had a MILLION questions while we were there and after we got home.  She really wanted to see what daddy does at work.  Why not show her!  She loved loved loved this.
Open heart surgery invitation.

Prepping for anesthesia.

Injection

My 25 Month old thought this was hilarious.

Marking incision.

Cutting Tigger open

Vein harvesting.
Watching intensely.

Sewing him back up.

All better!
RL

21 Responses to Routine Visits to Open Heart Surgery (A growing imagination)

• She has used both window markers and regular markers. Both came off with no problem. However, these are less expensive dolls so I am not worried if something does happen to leave a permanent mark.

1. I wish I thought of this 6 years ago. My daughter went through open heart surgery when she was 2 1/2. They do have a child life specialist go through the needle and OR setting, but this would have been great for her. We did after her surgery receive a “heart bear” that had open heart surgery. Such a great idea.

2. Deanna says:

I really love this! I find it so sweet to see your hubby physically showing your girls what he does. So sweet to see them experience that. :)

3. chocaholic says:

How do you expose to your kids to concepts like doctors, spacecrafts, castles etc if they are not expsose to TV? Mine is not, and at 2 yrs, he doesnt know what these are. Am I missing something?

• Courtney says:

READ! Your children will be exposed to so much through books. Read every single day. For hours. Max out your library card at every visit. There are thousands of books for young children that cover everything from fire safety to physics to the moon landing.

4. kelli fain says:

Wow! My 2 year old son has had two open heart surgeries and I love seeing the pictures of your husband explaining things and doing it at a level your child can understand. I definitely will be sharing this post and your blog at our heart mom’s meeting tonight!

5. Melinda says:

That was awesome! I take my high school students to see Open Heart Surgery every year and it is an amazing experience for them. Your daughter has no idea how lucky she is to have that experience at such a young age :)

6. Stacey Owens says:

This is a great idea. My son asks about my husbands scar on his chest often and this would be a great way to teach him about it. My husband had a heart defect repaired just after my son was born so the scar is still quite visible. Thank you so much fo sharing this!