Bouncing Bubbles

This entire week my son has asked to play with bubbles after dinner.  The sun is lower, the weather is cool at that time, and there has been a nice breeze.  We have spent up to an hour making large bubbles and running around popping them.  I will always remember an experience I had with my Pre-K students years ago.  I found some unpoppable bubbles back then and we played with them in the classroom.  I remember their little fingers and heads being covered in bubbles.  The children LOVED them and I have always wanted to give that same experience to my son.  They still sell these bubbles, but they come in a TINY tube and they didn’t work as well as I remember.  So………in my quest to create some interesting bubble fun, I found a BOUNCY BUBBLE recipe (at Steve Spangler).  My son and I made it last night because it has to “age” for 24 hours.  I have to admit, it was a huge bust with him – LOL.  He had absolutely NO interest in it.  It was so cool, however, that I wanted to share it with all of you (so I lured in my other child….er….um….I mean, husband).  ;)
- AK (MESE, MECD)
Thing you need:
  • 1 C distilled drinking water
  • 1 Tablespoon dish soap
  • 1 Teaspoon of glycerin (I ordered mine online)
  • straw (this is just what I chose to blow the bubbles with, Im assuming you can use a typical bubble wand)
  • 1 clean glove (or sock) – (this is to keep the bubble from popping)

MIX ALL INGREDIENTS TOGETHER AND LET SIT FOR 24 HOURS
 You can catch the bubbles
BUBBLE BOUNCING IN ACTION

71 Responses to Bouncing Bubbles

1. Nutty Mom says:

Thanks this is great! My mixture is now sitting for 24 hours! I’m thinking I do some strange projects with the kids because I already had glycerin on hand, LOL!

2. Mirawyn says:

Very cool! Vegetable glycerine is also available at most health food stores, and sometimes at stores like Whole Foods Market. (It’s used in a wide range of homemade health and beauty projects.

3. Samantha says:

Just a quick question, is this more of an outdoor activity to play with? I didn’t know if they would make indoor floors slick like regular bubbles. :)

4. psywren says:

Also, when you say mix all ingredients, does this include the sock? –like it needs to be soaked in the stuff in order for them not to break when they touch it?

5. What breaks bubbles is when they come in contact with something that disrupts their surface tension–ie a dry hand. It’s why you can blow a bubble and then “catch it” on a bubble wand-the wand is wet. I would think if your child had a wet had to catch bubbles with then you wouldn’t need the glove. (?)

6. Ashlee says:

I made these for my kids the other day after seeing this on Pinterest, but the bubbles are popping just like normal bubbles, regardless of the sock/glove. They still are nice bubbles (and less sticky than the corn syrup bubbles I made them recently). I made a double batch, but I don’t know if that’s why it’s not working, or what. Regardless, there are so many great activities here that my daughter and my ASD son will have so much fun with – so glad I found you at the beginning of summer – we’re going to have a blast!

• Amy Z says:

I found that these bubbles were stronger, but watery. I added some store-bought, thicker bubble solution to the mix, and pretty soon we were bouncing bubbles all over the place. I have a 4 year old who wants to show this to everyone, so we’ve tried it in all types of weather. Wind makes the bubbles pop easier, so playing with them inside the garage might help.

7. you can also get glycerin at the local pharmacy. look in the suppository section, they should come in little bullet sized tabs in a small plastic bottle or container. you can melt them down one at a time as you need them and they store forever!

8. I love this recipe!

I worked in an after school program with elementary school children when I was in high school. This was one of their FAVORITE activities and they got so excited when we brought it in.

To make larger bubbles take a straw and tie some yarn through it to make a large circle. Dip it in the solution and then wave it to make big bubbles. You can also use two straws if you prefer a stiffer string.

9. Mrs. H says:

My dad said that not long before we were around, that’s how all “bubbles” were made. It was just that making them without glycerine was cheaper, so they stopped using it.

10. cynthia says:

My bubbles ate very heavy and kind of drop the moment they leave the straw, I am not expecting them to flit about like regular bubbles but are there any recommendations to how I can get these little guys to launch a bit further? I would like to bring this game to my church Kiddos but I am picturing being rushed by 7-10 toddlers and them clamboring over eachother to get to them.

11. Nikki says:

How long does the mixture last?? does it make a lot? I want to do this for the 4th of july with my young cousins, but don’t know how much I should make….

12. Pingback: How To Make Bouncing Bubbles — Homestead and Survival

13. Kathy says:

For those not wanting to buy distilled water — take some water out of the dehumidifier bucket, if you have one. That is the equivalent of distilled water, at least for this purpose. I know that not all people have dehumidifiers because of differences in climates, but lots of us do. I sometimes use that water in my iron and in vases when I don’t want the mineral residue ring.

14. Phoebe says:

So thrilled to find this recipe :) Very cool, can’t wait to try it out, ready to press “Print”! Thanks again for sharing this!

15. Janice says:

Did this with the grand kids recently. We all loved it. We made our wands with two straws and some yarn. I got the glycerin at the drug store.

16. Pingback: 10 Summer Boredom Buster Activities | Kingdom First Homeschool

17. Pingback: What's in your Mystery Bag: Bouncing Bubbles | Sensible Suggestions - The Sensible Sitters Babysitting Blog

18. Pingback: DIY Bouncing Bubbles

19. Pingback: How Bubbles Work & 20 Things to Do With Them | left brain craft brain

20. Pingback: 21 Fun Summer Activities for Adults | Across the Blank Gap

21. Pingback: 101 Summer Activities to do with Kids

22. Pingback: Top Ten Summer {Pinterest} Style Activities for Kids | Mamatoga

23. Pingback: 10 Outdoor Bubble Activities to Make Your Kid's Birthday Party the Hit of the Summer! - Jellibean Journals

24. Pingback: 10 Fun Bubble Activities For Kids - Right Start Blog

25. Pingback: Bouncing Bubbles | Pinteresting Things

26. Pingback: 25 Cheap And Inspirational Projects For Kids That Will Stimulate Their Creativity And Enhance Their Knowledge