Glow sticks…. thinking outside the box

I purchased these glow sticks at the dollar store.  Bracelets come in a pack of five.  You can also get some at Michaels Craft Store in a pack of 15 for a buck!  If you store the glow sticks in the freezer after using them, they will last several nights.
Glow xylophone
Fill water up at various levels and place glow bracelet inside.
Glow stick xylophone

THE AURA IS JUST A CAMERA EFFECT!!!!!!
Glow Bath
Twlight Turtle

Letter Recognition

Fun with Pictures

Glowing balloons.  Place glow stick inside of balloon.

For the post on this please click below.
Glowing Hopscotch
RL

46 Responses to Glow sticks…. thinking outside the box

1. ElizabethT says:

Picked up balloons at the dollar store yesterday, and that’s going to be tonight’s activity. Can’t wait! Can I ask about the xylophone photo with the glow extending into the air? Is that just a camera effect? (It’s beautiful!)

2. Erin says:

I just found fifteen little “glow bracelets” for a dollar at Michael’s in their dollar section. We put them in the bath, made a little fort/Cave and played in there for a bit… now they are scattered on the living room floor dying a slow death. I love toys like that that cost so little that I don’t have to worry about what happens when she is done with them! Thanks for the suggestion!

3. KAS says:

Totally know what we’re doing with our leftover glowsticks now! Amazing ideas, no clue why I didn’t think of this stuff sooner! Thanks a ton!

4. Nik says:

I’m loving all this, and the photography is beautiful too. What settings are you using with all of the glow photography? Thanks!

5. Kelly says:

That neat, all things you can get a the $ store. Just like some you would find at the children’s museum. You have great ideas. Thanks.

I just want to say we did have an episode that a glow stick was snapped open and the liquid was flung out into the children’s faces. We have no clue how this happened. And we will use them, no one was hurt but we are careful to only let them use them with a parent present.

• Hannah says:

That’s happened to me too and it feels like your eye is burning. Please be careful when cracking them. Mine was purchased from the Target dollar bin and it was awful!

6. yayanaya says:

How do you end your bath time with such fun activities? I tried this with my 3 year old and 20 month old and they were kicking and screaming when I had to pull them out because water was getting cold. I begged them many times before I took them out…

• Start by giving warnings…. You have 10 more minutes in the bath, then it’s time to get out… you have 5 more minutes, etc. I even count the last 10 seconds down. If your children are kicking and screaming attend to their feelings. “You’re so mad that I said you have to get out of the bath now. You wish you could stay in longer. You are so angry, I know!” Children want to feel heard. I’m sure the bath was very special to them if they never experienced something like that before. You can reassure them or “give them what they want”. “Bath time was so much fun tonight! We will have to do that again sometime. Would you like to do that again another night?” Just make sure you follow through! You can also give them choices and a little bit of control “I see you are having such a good time in the bath… would you like to get out now or in 5 minutes?” Then start with your countdown you have 2 more minutes… etc. Hope that helps. RL

7. Erick says:

In picture 7 of 17 with the child in the bath tub. First I should say I love the idea of the glow sticks in the bath and balloons. Second I hope you don’t mind me making an observation but the child looks like their fingers on the right hand are hyper extended (bend back farther than they should) this is a sign of hyper-mobility which is caused by EDS (Elhers Danlos Syndrome). I could be completely wrong but I just wanted to let you know encase your Dr. couldn’t figure out why the child’s joints are sometime unstable. I hope I am wrong but just my two cents.

• 10%-15% of normal children have hypermobile joints and there are MANY reasons for joint hypermobility. Scaring a mom with EDS is the proverbial looking for zebras when you hear hoofbeats.

Pediatric Occupational Therapist Becky

• Daphne says:

It could also just be a lighting/angle illusion.. If you spread your fingers out how kids often do with your index finger pointing straight and gradually bending your proximal metacarpal joints (knuckles) until your pinky is fully bent, it could create this illusion. Hope that description makes sense.. I just managed to mostly replicate what’s seen in the pic with my index finger pointing straight up.

8. Fabulous!!!!!!!And I dont even have children! What is the green thing at the end of the bath (looks like a turtle?) and how did the stars get on the tub wall there>? (pic 3 of glow bath).

9. Shannon says:

Love your site and all the glow ideas. Just thought I would let you know if you didn’t already that the 3rd picture of the glow sticks in the glasses is circling Pinterest like wildfire! Too bad all the captions look like this: “Glow stick xylophone. Put the glow sticks in cups of water and an aura comes off in the dark, when you tap them. Gotta try this!”

10. Shauna says:

How did you make the aura on the glow sticks with water work? We tried (with the thick glow sticks) but it didn’t work. Will have to get some of the thin glow sticks you used and try that!

11. Eileen says:

FYI – there is glass inside glowsticks (the crunch you hear when you activate them is the glass breaking.)
    I wish I had thought of the glow stick bath when my kids were little- awesome fun !! but don’t cut the sticks open unless the ‘glow’ is going into something secure. :)

12. Guylaine Cs says:

How! You got me! I didn’t read the “The aura is just an effect from the camera” and I tried it because I found it unbelievable… Well of course it didn’t work. good that nobody saw me doing it…. Fool!

13. Jessie K says:

We tried this tonight…for those asking about how she made the effect of the aura..you can’t see it with the naked eye. It was an effect that was captured on camera. She clearly explains this in the post BUT the popular pin image that is going around gives a false description of the activity and of course most people are hoping to see the aura when they tap the glass..which doesn’t happen. Cool xylophone though!

14. Asiya says:

Hi, This is probably a silly question, but how did you get the glowsticks inside the balloons? Do you stick them in then blow up the balloon, or do you blow them up first?

15. Pingback: Escuela Infantil GRANVIA Vistahermosa » Archivo del weblog » 4 divertidos experimentos para niños con agua

16. Pingback: 4 divertidos experimentos para niños con agua |